Every year quad bikes are a major cause of death and serious injury in rural workplaces associated with accidental rollovers. An average of five people die in work-related quad bike incidents every year.
WorkSafe strongly recommends that crush protection devices (CPDs) are installed on all quad bikes used for work. ACC has collaborated with WorkSafe to design a subsidy to help rural businesses buy CPDs for their quad bikes.
ACC are offering a workplace injury prevention subsidy for businesses in the agriculture sector to buy a CPD for quad bikes.
There are two eligible CPDs currently on the market that WorkSafe recommends, the LifeGuard and Quadbar. These CPDs have been well tested and are designed to withstand the forces of a quad rollover, to the extent that the operator has a greater probability of escaping serious harm from crushing, and can do so with limited effect on the operation of the vehicle itself.
If you’re self-employed or own a small to medium business in the agriculture sector, you might be eligible for a workplace injury prevention subsidy. The subsidy offer is $180 per CPD with a maximum of two CPD purchases per business (including self-employed). Contributions exclude GST.
Who is eligible?
Those self-employed and small to medium businesses (0-99 employees) in the following sub-sectors are eligible:
• Sheep and beef cattle farming (CU code 1230)
• Sheep farming (CU code 1240)
• Beef cattle farming (CU code 1250)
• Dairy cattle farming (CU code 1300)
• Livestock farming (not elsewhere classified) (CU code 1590)
• Hunting and trapping (CU code 2200)
Note: ACC determines the sub-sector a business belongs to through their CU code used for invoicing purposes.
How to apply?
After ACC have received your application?
- ACC will confirm your eligibility and send more information.
- You can then go ahead and purchase the crush protection device.
- Send ACC an itemised receipt (the full receipt including CPD description).
- ACC will transfer their contribution to your nominated bank account.
ACC will formally acknowledge your business’ participation and commitment to improving workplace safety.